Muscle building is no more a fascination limited to youngsters, but also among those individuals, who are above the age of 50. There are some people, who think themselves to be too old of muscle building. They think that their body cannot take the amount of stress and pain that would be endured after some exercise. The truth is that with some guidance and understanding, it is possible for any person, even above 50 to have strong muscles to impress others around.
What is required to build muscles?
Muscle growth does require just two things, consuming nutritious food and anabolic stimulus that can be achieved through exercises either at home or in the professional environment of a gym. With age, the body does undergo several changes, which could make it somewhat difficult for muscle building. However, growth hormones and testosterone reduction can be a better example. Also, the person can face injuries that could increase the pain. But, with some determination and knowledge, it is possible for the person to possibly overcome and build muscle, prevent loss of bone and to minimize chances of facing cardiovascular issues.
Steps to follow for effective muscle building
• By using high intensity training method, the effectiveness of the workout times can be maximized. Though, brief, it is intense and permits enough time for muscles to recover. In case, you did not train throughout your life, then you should start the exercises slowly. You should perform just about single or double sets at every workout. Over a period of time, the intensity of the exercise can be increased, once you feel that you are mentally strong for challenging the body and to build muscle.
• Before beginning the workout routine, warm up exercise should be performed for increasing the blood flow towards the muscles. For preventing injuries, work the way upwards to increase weights. The slow warm up exercise help in increasing the blood flow significantly to the muscles, to make sure that it gets the necessary oxygen and nutrients that would be required for growing and repairing.
• The entire session in the beginning should be just within an hour to avoid stress. It is at this point, where the cortisol, which is a stress hormone that tends to peak up. It is said to occur naturally and is quite responsible for breakdown of the muscle. Therefore, continuing with the exercise for long would simply defeat the very purpose of exercising. Since, at this age, you are losing muscle mass already, overdoing the exercise would only make the issue much worse.
• Eating needs to be scheduled properly. With the metabolism rate slowing down with age, whatever is consumed gets stored as fat. Hence, with proper timing of the food intake corresponding with the exercise would prove to be worthwhile as the food would be utilized quickly by the body and used for repairing the damaged muscle tissue. Experts recommend consuming whey protein of 50 grams, carbohydrates of 100 grams and healthy fats of 30 grams. These healthy fats are undoubtedly good for your heart and assist the body to lower down the cholesterol level.
• Another important thing that you should take into consideration is the usage of supplements. You need to add only the essential ones to the diet. Creatine monohydrate is an effective natural supplement. By taking about just 5 grams daily, you can easily maximize the performance of the muscles and also recover from the workouts much quickly. You can also consider using Secretagogue, which is a growth hormone. It is rather a mixture of several important amino acids, which cause growth hormones to be released by the pituitary glands. It is an essential element for people above 50, as the natural hormone growth production gets diminished.